Modifications to Divorce Orders

Legal Guidance from Our Divorce Lawyers in Scottsdale

No matter how much time and effort goes into crafting a settlement agreement and how hard you pursue a divorce decree that is in your favor, modifications may be necessary later down the road. Life changes are unavoidable and often unforeseeable. When these changes do occur, you can speak with our Scottsdale divorce attorneys for the representation you need. We have more than 80 years of combined experience fighting for the rights of our clients.

Court orders remain in effect until they are changed or modified. In order to modify a court order and make it legally enforceable, a formal modification must be presented to the court. Modifications of court orders do take time, so it is best to start the process early to avoid additional frustration. Whether you need to make changes to spousal maintenance, child support, or another family law matter, ensure that you receive approval prior to taking action.

The following are possible reasons that a court order may need to be modified:

  • Your child turns 18 years old and graduates from high school
  • Your ex-spouse remarries
  • You require a larger payment to care for your child's needs
  • You need to have the payment amount increased because of job loss
  • You need to have the payment amount reduced because of job loss

Modifications for Support

In many cases, our clients require modifications after a spousal support or child support decree is made. Whether you are on the receiving or giving end of a support, you may need to request a change to support yourself and / or your children. Our firm can also help you petition for the termination of support. This may be an option if your child has emancipated or if your ex-spouse remarries.

Modifications for Child Custody or Visitation

Another common modification request concerns child custody and visitation rights. Whether the custodial parent must relocate or a non-custodial parent wishes to petition for shared custody, our firm can help you submit a request.

Work with Our Scottsdale Divorce Attorneys

Many times, the other party fails to do what he or she is ordered to do by the court. Despite repeated requests, the person may simply ignore the orders. In such a case, it is important to contact our experienced Scottsdale lawyers for help with enforcement of court orders or modifications to court orders. No matter what type of modification is necessary, we can guide you through each step to obtain and enforce it. Our firm is prepared to help you navigate this difficult issue, so call today to schedule a free 1/2 hour consultation.

Contact Us

By clicking here you acknowledge that submitting your information to Owens & Perkins, P.C. does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. A conflict check must be run prior to you communicating with one of our attorneys.