With the holiday season approaching, people often gather with family, friends, and co-workers to celebrate. This time of year is also when police departments set up DUI checkpoints. Often, these DUI checkpoints are not only well marked, but actually publicized as to when and where they will be. In the event that you find yourself at one of these checkpoints, please keep in mind that you have certain rights.
You do NOT have to:
- Provide an alibi or make an excuse
- Make any statements to the police
- Perform Field Sobriety tests
You DO have to:
- Provide your name, address and identification
- Provide a breath, blood or urine sample
- Ask to speak with your lawyer prior to submitting to a breath, blood or urine test
- Ask the police to preserve your blood, breath or urine for independent evaluation
On Saturday, November 23rd, from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m., we will be volunteering our services to assist St. Mary’s Food Bank with collection of food and monetary donations for Thanksgiving at Albertsons located at the corner of Union Hills and Cave Creek Road. If you would like to help Arizona’s hungry, please visit us at this location or go online at www.firstfoodbank.org.
On behalf of everyone at Owens & Perkins, we wish all of our clients a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday!
If you or anyone you know has been charged with a DUI, please contact one of our experienced criminal attorneys at www.opduilaw.com, or call Owens & Perkins at (480) 630-2464.